Episode #69: Sex and Sexism in Comic Books

Posted on: October 12, 2011
Written by: Juan Daeho

Sex and Sexism in Comic Books

Who handles sex better: DC or Marvel? Do you like Starfire’s new “personality”? Should female comic creators start their own company? We keep it real in this “Sex & Sexism in Comic Books” episode. This one’s for the ladies.

Facebook

6 Comments »

1. Women have gotten together and put out a comic called “Womanthology.” (http://womanthology.blogspot.com/) The project was on Kickstarter and their original goal was $25000 to put out 1500 books. They took in over four times that amount in a month. So there might actually in fact be a market for female creators. In re: to there not being a lot of good female creators in the industry – 162 women contributed to Womanthology. 89 were artists, 44 were writers, and 22 were inkers/colorists/letterists, and people were willing to shell out a hundred grand for their work. In the first month of comics released in the DCnU, there were 204 people credited as creators in the relaunch. 10 of them were women. And if you look at the number of female credits on the books in January compared to the relaunch, there are fewer female credits in editorial, writing, inking/colorists, letterists, and artists.(http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/02/gendercrunching-the-dc-new-52-relaunch-of-september-2011-by-tim-hanley/). Is DC intentionally trying to give women creators the finger? I doubt it. But in a way, it’s almost more disturbing that in their push to appeal to a wider audience they got rid of women who were good enough to work on their books in January without even really seeming to notice. Also, DC doesn’t accept submissions. You need to be established in the industry before they’ll look at your work. So no, it isn’t a case of there just not being enough good female creators. DC just isn’t hiring them. Also, you’re remembering the Storm/Cyclops leadership fight wrong – Storm defeated Cyclops and won full leadership of the team, and she was depowered at the time. The issue was Uncanny X-Men #201. Thank you for talking about this issue. I am insulted that DC thinks it can subsitute T&A for creativity and good storytelling and expect me to just keep buying their crap.

Comment by What The Duck — October 13, 2011 @ 2:04 am

2. Thanks for listening, What The Duck… If that is your real name…

DC isn’t the only game in town. Marvel accepts submissions, and Image is entirely creator owned. I don’t think you can say women aren’t more prevalent in the industry because DC isn’t hiring. I think at it’s root, it’s just a percentage thing. For many years, guys were the only ones who bought comics. (of course there were exceptions, but that was rare) These guys grew up wanting to become comic artists and writers. There are FAR more men trying to break into the industry than women right now. The good ones get jobs. If 3 women and 100 men break into the industry this year, it’s not biased. It’s because only 30 women tried as opposed to the 1000 men.

As for the Storm/Cyclops thing, when I said that she didn’t really win, I was referring to the fact that she didn’t truly get to lead the X-Men as we had been led to believe she would. I know she defeated Cyclops, but she still didn’t “win” because Scott still got his own team anyway. It would have had more impact if Storm were the sole leader of the X-Men.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the DC thing. I want solid stories, not T&A just for the sake of it.

-Squirrel

Comment by admin — October 13, 2011 @ 10:16 am

3. I wonder if women have a hard time because they come up with stories that are deeper and don’t always conform to explosions and face punching.

Grady should chop off his penis and grab a bull horn.

To the question “If you were a girl, would you still have read comics” my answer is no, for i would be too busy staring at my vagina with a hand mirror.

Comment by Carne Vato — October 13, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

4. I’ve been following some female comic readers from time to time, many of which have decided to abandon DC because of the poor decisions they’ve made in recent years. DC’s supposed to be known for vintage classic superheroism but some of the writers there just wants to make it as Marvel as possible and failing at it.

I don’t think that its about diversity in gender writers but diversity in writer demographic. We need to vary the ethnicity in writers, a equal amount of male and female writers as well as those who appeal to the gays and lesbians.

Comment by M — October 17, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

5. I’m a woman and I love DC Comics, including most of the New 52.

Comment by Timmy_Darko — July 11, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

6. Also, I know a lot of cosplayers and every single one of them knows comics and are hardcore fans.

I also know the girl you’re talking about and she is a hardcore fan and a creator and very talented.

Stephanie Mayor (who “wrote” Twilight) makes me weep for the future of literature. More people need to focus their attention on the sexism and abusive relationships in Twilight.

I love Starfire.

I agree with….whichever one of you

did he just say “dame”?

I agree with whichever one of you said they need to try harder to find new talent and stop hiring their friends.

The guy asking “Where are the women fans” where the hell have you been looking? Go to Tumblr or something.

Red Hood & the Outlaws #1 was for “shock factor”. The rest of it didn’t bother me at all, though it probably could have been handled better (Catwoman #1).

Read more than just the 1st issues before making one of these things.

Cyclops sucks ass.

Superman does too. They’re both douches.

“broads”?

Again: read more than just the 1st issues before you make one of these!

Kori never slept with Jason, only Roy. She kicks ass, she’s one of the most

You know this cuts off in the middle of your sentence right?

Starfire is one of the most feared warship commanders in the galaxy. She doesn’t have “the memory of a goldfish” like people are still saying. She was avoiding his questions because she didn’t want to talk about it.

I learned all of that about her by reading the New 52’s Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Comment by Timmy_Darko — July 11, 2012 @ 5:43 pm